Tree fruit production in New York generates over $300 million in revenue annually. New York’s apple production accounts for over half, and pears, tart cherries, and other stone fruits make up the balance. Cornell AgriTech experts support the industry with new varieties and critical information on horticultural practices and pest management through comprehensive production guides and seasonal newsletters.
- Pest Management Guidelines for Commercial Tree Fruit Production
Critical information for managing diseases, insects, mites, weeds, wildlife, nutrients and fruit thinning.
- A Grower’s Guide to Organic Apples
An online guide for organic apple production produced by the New York State Integrated Pest Management Program.
- Growing High-Density Sweet Cherries in the East
Sweet cherry management recommendations using dwarfing rootstocks and high density orchards.
- Cornell Fruit Pages (Tree Fruits)
A website with links to Cornell's fruit production resources, including production, IPM, post harvest handling and food safety, wine and other value-added products, business and labor management, and marketing.
- National Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) Program
The National GAPs Program provides training on the prevention of food-borne illnesses outbreaks through sound farming and produce handling practices.
- Scaffolds Fruit Journal
A weekly update on pest management and crop development published from March to September by Cornell AgriTech with assistance Cornell Cooperative Extension.
- New York Fruit Quarterly
A journal published four times a year by the N.Y. State Horticultural Society, Cornell AgriTech in Geneva, and the N.Y. State Apple Research and Development Program.
Cornell AgriTech experts
- New apple varieties: Brown
- Geneva® apple rootstocks: Fazio
- Orchard systems: Robinson
- Protecting fruit trees from insects: Agnello, Jentsch and Nyrop
- Protecting fruit trees from disease: Cox, Fuchs Gadoury
- Accurate spray technology: Landers
- Integrated pest management: Agnello, Grant and Carroll
- Genomics technologies for apple: Xu